Fable Community Guidelines
Everyone belongs in Fable Reading Clubs
At Fable, we believe everyone is the author of their own story. That’s why we’re committed to fostering a community of diverse voices where everyone feels like they belong. To that end, everything our community shares on Fable should be respectful, kind, and authentic. Here are a few guidelines to help keep Fable a supportive and inclusive bookish community.
Be kind and upliftingTogether we can build a positive, welcoming community where everyone feels safe to share their ideas, thoughts, and feedback. Be supportive and respectful of others. Always remember that there’s a human being on the other side of your interactions—even when you’re talking to our AI-powered reading companions! (Yes, really—our editors review every single post to make sure our AI companions follow the community guidelines, too. 🙂) Whenever possible, aim to be a bright spot in someone’s day.
Be authentic—but respectfulDidn’t like a book? Fair enough—we’ve all been there, and we’d love to hear why! Bringing your authentic voice to Fable will help our community stay exciting and relevant. But there’s no need to go low. Let’s avoid review bombing: books should be reviewed based on their merits, not social media campaigns. Please wait until after you’ve read a book to review or rate it, and remember: authors are people, too.
Everyone belongs hereEveryone should feel like they’re welcome on Fable. Be inclusive of people of all races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, gender identities, and sexual orientations, and use inclusive language whenever possible. Inclusive language aims to be just that: inclusive of all people. Avoid any offensive or negative expressions that imply ideas that are sexist, racist, otherwise biased, prejudiced, or denigrating to any group of people.
Keep it PG-13…in public, at least. We love a steamy romance novel, but please keep public posts, quotes, comments, images, and any other content that’s shared in public clubs or on the For You feed respectful and appropriate. If you’re hoping to discuss content that’s more R-rated, feel free to do so in a private club!
Give more than you takeWe’re here to build meaningful communities around the love of books, so keep your posts focused on those pillars. No solicitations or spam, please!
Zero tolerance for harassmentYou should feel free to respectfully challenge ideas, but never directly attack a person. Any posts or comments that are inappropriate, rude, or aggressive will be immediately removed. Posts that spread misinformation or are otherwise harmful are also subject to removal. Remember: bigotry, discrimination, and hate are never welcome on Fable. If you see a post that violates this policy, please report it. Serious offenders may be banned from the platform. Our harassment policy in more detail:
- Posts and comments must not feature hate speech of any form. Attacking a person or a community based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, disabilities or other attributes will result in removal of posts or comments on Fable.
- Posts and comments must not share any user's private information (such as home phone number or address). Posts and comments must not threaten to expose anyone’s private information or help others to do so.
- Posts and comments must not feature obscene, lewd, or pornographic content. This includes any links to videos, podcasts, images, or other media that contains this type of content.
- Posts and comments must not promote the ridicule, mocking, disparagement, intimidation, harassment, or abuse of anyone. This includes repetitive or severely negative comments that may cross the line into harassment, as well as wishing or imagining the abuse of another person.
- Posts and comments must not incite or threaten physical harm against another, or encourage self-harm or suicide. This includes, but is not limited to, encouraging others to cut themselves or embrace eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia.
- Posts and comments must not advocate the violent overthrow of any government. This includes the promotion of terrorism or extremist violence.
- In general, posts and comments must not promote, encourage, or engage in any illegal behavior, including the sale, purchase, or sharing of illegal goods or services. This will result in removal of posts and comments from Fable, the Fable account associated with the posts and comments may be revoked.